Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Bullying and What to Do About It


Image taken from http://www.stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov/adults/tip-sheets/tip-sheet-27.aspx

Hello Families,
A very disturbing and disappointing situation has been brought to my attention, and I am asking for your help. Students in the class have come to me to let me know about a situation that has gone from teasing to bullying.
The student being targeted has not come to me.
I have spent some time looking for resources and strategies to deal with this in class, and we will discuss it to sensitize the student to the different types of bullying and what it looks like. We will talk about how to stand up for ourselves, and how to stand up for others (which is what research says really works). And we will be vigilant, and make an effort to look out for and care for each other.
The situation is remarkably complex. Confronting the bully and sidekicks isn't recommended, as it generally backfires. General work about bullying is easy to disregard. Parents will need to be contacted, and discussions will be long.
I need your help. Please review the information at the link below, and speak with your child about what they see and hear at school. Please talk with them about the difference between teasing and taunting, and how they can help make the school safe for all the students.
As always, I am available if you hear something I should know.
Thank you so very much for your help,
Kathy Napier

http://www.stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov/adults/tip-sheets/tip-sheet-21.aspx

No comments: